Thursday 20 November 2014

Live Review: Zimmer//Koro Play Swapsies #2, Tel Aviv [15th November 2014]

The Orions

BEST

DUST


Tonight sees the second installment of venues Koro and The Zimmer swapping line ups. This time, bands of co-owners of Koro play The Zimmer.


DUST


I am loving this band right now. Tel Aviv based DUST are a hardcore band a la most NY bands/good stuff that came out on Bridge Nine Records. Although it's hardcore, DUST do not just play standard, get-your-2-step-on, sing-about-nothing hardcore. Within their groove-laden hardcore, these skilled musicians also use harmonious riffs and changing time sigs which they take from their more stoner and post hardcore influences. I have seen them play a few times before tonight, of course, and have loved them since the first performance. They play songs from their self titled mini album that I am already familiar with and others that I recall from previous shows, but tonight there was definitely some new ones and they had even more groove than the others. This makes me look forward to future recordings. The band plays energetically, like a hardcore band should. My current favourite of theirs is Numb due to it's wonderfully melodic and energising intro. And the last song of their set (name?) always gets me shouting along "I'M TIRED OF BEING SICK AND I'M SICK OF BEING TIRED." If you like hardcore/hardcore punk, you'll love this band.
5/5


BEST


Yet another band I've known from the scene, BEST is made up of members who are all already in about 3 other bands and who have some form of a hand in the running of the Koro venue. BEST crawled out of the woodwork about 3 years back after a bit of a lull on the "hardcore band" front in Israel. Tonight is the first time in quite a while that I've seen these guys. Tonight they decided to uniform up in dark jeans and white vests. As much as the songs are there, I wasn't totally blown away this time and felt like the songs just blended in together. Could be said about hardcore in general but only to an untrained ear. I love the guys and I love their other bands as well as this band's Of The Worst mini album but I think they need to get some really cool new tunes to really kick me in the manhood. 
3/5

The Orions


Another band I haven't seen in some time, Tel Aviv surf based band The Orions finish off tonight's show. Albeit performing to a now smaller audience, no-one can help but dance to some fun instrumental surf rock. That's what The Orions do well and what they've been doing for about the last 3 years. They have definitely improved in musicianship and have fortunately kept that same energy they've had since the beginning. As they work through material from their EPs, they definitely gained some new fans in my friends from London and other Orions virgins in the Zimmer tonight. You don't even need to have listened to The Orions recordings to enjoy an Orions show. It's just pure party music. They could play weddings if they wanted to. They probably will ...Hope I get invited. 
4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment