Wednesday 4 November 2015

MC Lars discusses the disappointment of new lineups on the cleverly titled "Sublime with Rome (Is Not the Same Thing as Sublime)"





 I must admit, I haven't really followed MC Lars' career. I didn't even realise he was sill doing anything. I remember him having a bit of hit with both iGeneration and Signing Emo when I was at Uni and I remember seeing gigs for him listed, but I didn't really get too into it. However, I randomly saw this video pop up while checking out the new video by this song's subject, Sublime With Rome.
  Fo those who don't know, Sublime With Rome is essentially a reincarnation of the popular 90s ska punk band, Sublime. It was originally a collaboration between ex Sublime/Long Beach Dub Allstars members Eric Wilson and Bud Gaugh and young singer/songwriter Rome Ramirez. Initially playing Sublime songs (as "Sublime" before being forced to change the name), the band are now a new band in their own right.
  MC Lars, however, is not impressed by SWR, nor other acts like Wu Tang and Misfits. On the song Sublime With Rome (Is Not The Same Thing As Sublime), he seems to see the idea of replacing a crucial member after their death or departure a desperate cash-cow, especially when they charge a fortune for gig tickets and merch. Many people must agree with this. I have friends who saw Misfits and were just not impressed compared to what they had seen of and heard about the Danzig days.


  The song is catchy and incorporates a Sublime flavour while still characteristically being MC Lars' style of comical, yet also whiney, hip hop. It comes from Lars' new album out this week, The Zombie Dinosaur LP.   

  

No comments:

Post a Comment