Tuesday 10 November 2015

Alanis Morissette's "All I Really Want" Covered By Fucked Up


I've been meaning to post this for the passed week.

   This year marks the 20th anniversary of one of the first albums (if not THE first album) I ever got: Alanis Morissette's Jagged Little Pill. YouTube channel, CBC Music, asked a few Canadian artists to cover songs from said album, including beloved hardcore punk outfit Fucked Up.

    The band cover the album's opening track, All I Really Want. As a 9/10 year old who was already into quite rock based music, this was an absolute killer track and most possibly my favourite until my tastes matured and I started paying more attention to songs like Not The Doctor and Wake Up

   Of course, the song sounds pretty different. The song's repetitive riff is still in tack but there is an over all harder tone to the whole thing. This is definitely strengthened by front man Damien's snarling vocals. 

   At times I wonder if he's actually heard the original, like the way he does "AWOO AWOO.." in the parts where Alanis tends to do that weird yodelling type thing she does. However, his dramatical improvising near the end shows that the message of the song is not lost on him.


  If you, like myself, are a fan of both Alanis and Fucked Up (I'm more into Alanis. Haven't quite found anything of FU to really grab my attention), then this is certainly worth a listen.     

Congrats on the 20th anniversary, Alanis, and good job on the cover, guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment