Wednesday 19 August 2015

New Pop Punk from Germany

   Now and again, I find some interesting stuff just by being online and taking a chance on something. Via a UK Pop Punk group on Facebook, a member of German band Planet Zero promoted their latest video for the song Zero Brew from their EP, Origin.

   Whereas most people consider pop punk to be about fast drumming and chugging breaks amongst whiney vocals, Zero Brew, although still incorporating some of those elements, is a bouncy summer anthem, similar to something like Third Eye Blind's Semi-Charmed Life or even Sugar Ray's Fly.
  Thing is, I didn't realise they were German at first. The mild sunshine and grassy river bank made me think of home, so I assumed they were at least from the Midlands. And then there's the vocals. Although I have used the word "whiney" to describe pop punk vocals, it's more that it's quite squeaky and high pitched. This is one of those cases where it actually works but is also a little bit deceptive of where they're from. I guess some bands do that, though. It makes you more international. It worked for The Beatsteaks.

   I'm hoping to get around to checking out their EP in full and tell you what I think of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment