Wednesday 10 August 2016

Live Review: Liberating Justice Mini-Fest @ Gagarin, Tel Aviv [29th July 2016]

Ganza

Eternal Struggle

Knees Please

Methods

Almonim Metim

Elephant Hive



Tonight, the Gagarin club in south Tel Aviv sees a coming together of bands of different genres in order to collect donations of tinned food, clothes, condiments and other such items for refugee children. The event has been put on by Eternal Struggle members for the Elifelet charity.




Elephant Hive



First on tonight is Elephant Hive. They are a crazy rock duo who play really short cuts of instrumental experimental rock. The idea and the energy is great but, from a drummer's point of view, the drumming is a little too over the top and sometimes doesn't sit well with the guitar. It feels at times that the drummer's choices are kind of unnecessary. He even uses an upside down champagne bucket (of sorts) at times which mostly sounds great but has its moments where it is out of place. The guitar riffs are actually good but there are some "songs" which feel totally unfinished, such as Tom Shush, which suddenly stops as it was just getting going. They certainly have talent but just feels too much like a jam band at the moment.

3/5



Almonim Metim


I've reviewed noisy punk outfit Almonim Metim (Anonymous Dead) before and even played a show with them (with Woolly Boy) but each time I tend to hear something new. On the surface, they are just a "shouty band" but beyond singer Anastasia's screams, there is Amit's jangly guitar, Benjamin's soulful bass lines and Ben's interesting drumming that give them something a little different. It even sometimes brings up elements of surf or 60s rock which not many expect to hear in "screamo hardcore punk." 



The screaming does get repetitive at times and this isn't the most energetic I've seen Anastasia (one time she came up to me and screamed in my face). The band in general are a little agitated already by the age restriction hindering friends from coming in, so that might have something to do with it. I think they have something special musically but the vocals could do with more dynamic changes to keep in with the dynamics of the music itself and just to keep things that little more enticing.

3.5/5



Methods



Methods are another band I've reviewed before and I liked them then and I like them now. The music they do is quite refreshing, not just in the Israeli music scene but in general. Their music reminds me of bands like Therapy?, Incubus and even Three Days Grace all sort of mashed up together. They use dynamics and sometimes changing time signatures which are interesting but sometimes sound messy. They nevertheless do have some catchy songs, like Sub-dimension, which makes me smile!
 The sound in the venue isn't helping them all too much. It could just be where I am standing but it all sounds pretty scratchy and unclear. The rest of the crowd, as small as it is, are moving a bit but I think might be going through the motions. Methods' sound could be considered a little too mature for some show goers. Sometimes, people just like to switch their minds off when they go out and listen to very angry people play very angry music... angrily. Methods have melody, precision (at least try to) and follow almost pop-standard writing formats. Hence the name, probably. It's methodic and well thought out. Although there are a lot of bands that you can say that about, with Methods, it's somehow more apparent. They've got to get tighter playing-wise, but musically, they have something good going on.

4/5




Knees Please



I've reviewed Knees Please before, both live and on record, I've seen them a bunch of times and even did a show with them and I've tended to really love them. Now, however, I'm not all that into it.
This show in particular consists of all new material that I am just not feeling. Besides Barry The Lizard, which is an interesting groovy number, everything else is just a bit too long and uneventful for me. They're still a heavy band and have great stage presence, but sometimes my head can't deal with 30 minutes of only 5 songs. This is unfortunately one of those times. I may be alone, though, as others are headbanging and "moshing" away and simply liking the heaviness. 


3.5/5



Eternal Struggle



I only recently reviewed their latest EP and am most likely going to do more of a write up of their upcoming EP release show, so I'll keep this short. Eternal Struggle are doing groove based tough guy hardcore and they are doing it pretty damn right. I think it's still lost on most of the crowd here tonight who, again, are just enjoying the intensity of the music. The Sick Of It All cover of Take The Night Off only sees a few people, like myself, actually singing along to it. There is still some movement and audience participation but I am never going to stop finding the fist raising and the "hey" chanting misplaced and generally quite annoying. That's just me. Call me a snob, if you will, but I just think there's a time and a place for it and an Eternal Struggle show isn't it. There should just be bodies running about the place and high kicks and bloody faces. These guys need to get to Europe and they'll get the reaction they deserve.


4.5/5


Ganza



With a new vocalist and new drummer, Ganza are practically a new improved version of the band I saw a while back. Whereas I previously likened them to basically trying to be Alice In Chains/Guns n Roses tribute act, new singer, Max, takes their sound into more Pantera territory. Despite having the same songs, everything just somehow sounds a lot heavier and I am digging it more this time around. Butterflies, especially, comes out sounding great and everything is made even more entertaining with Max spinning his hair around.
By this point in the night, there isn't much of a crowd left, but those who have stayed are running around and some even singing along. Ganza might still be nothing special, but they have improved.

3.5/5





It may not have been the biggest turn out I've ever seen for a show like this, but it was a massive result for the Elifelet charity. Well done to all involved.  


Thank you to Assaf Bergerbest for the photos (where labeled). 

No comments:

Post a Comment